To join the Society online and pay your subscription by credit card, simply begin by filling in the on-line registration request form. Our secure server is programmed to provide an exceptional degree of security.
How to join the Hakluyt Society
Alternatively, if you do not wish to join the Society online, you may fill in the enrolment form and send it to the Society office by post, accompanied by your cheque or credit card details. The address is given on the form.
Please note that the facility for backdating membership to previous years has been discontinued. However, members may still receive previous publications at substantially reduced prices.
Existing members of the Society may renew their subscription online by clicking the Renew Subscription Online button to the left of this page. Alternatively, members may print out a renewal form (below) and post it with their cheque to the office.
Please do not attempt to renew your subscription by completing the registration request form above which is for new members only.
Subscription rates and methods of payment
The following subscription rates will apply for the year 2013 and until further notice:
Normal membership ₤ 60.00 for the United Kingdom and all other countries. US$ 110.00 for cheques drawn on United States banks.
Student membership ₤ 30.00 for the United Kingdom and all other countries. US$ 55.00 for cheques drawn on United States banks.
Student members receive the same benefits as full members but will be required to provide certification that they are in full-time education at school, or at a recognised university (including postgraduate studies) or institution of further education.
Payment may be made by Sterling cheque, US dollar cheque, Visa, or Mastercard. There is no surcharge for paying by credit card.
The Society has now introduced a Direct Debit facility for the payment of subscriptions which replaces the Bankers' Order scheme. For members with UK bank accounts a Direct Debit Mandate form may be downloaded by clicking here. Please note that Direct Debit may not be used by new members paying their first year's subscription.
For existing members wishing to renew by post, a form is available by clicking here.
The Society is grateful to those members who pay their subscription promptly and without a reminder.
Gift Aid on subscriptions (UK members only)
If you pay income tax in the UK the Hakluyt Society as a registered charity can claim from HM Revenue and Customs a sum equal to the amount of tax you have paid on your membership subscription or donations to the Society. This involves no more than filling in a simple form, signing it and sending it to the Society's office at the address provided on the form.Gift Aid is an important source of income to the Hakluyt Society, and it costs you nothing. To download the form, please click here.
Benefits of Membership
Members of the Society are entitled to:
1. Receive all volumes published by the Society, other than those of the Extra Series, during the period of their membership. Such volumes are distributed (free and post free) to members.
2. Purchase earlier volumes (if still in print) and additional copies of current volumes at discounted prices which are about forty per cent below those at which the Society's publications are sold to the public. (Click here for books still in print)
3. Purchase volumes issued in the Extra Series at special rates, from 20 to 30% below the retail published prices.
4. Receive the regular Newsletter, the List of Publications in Print and the Annual Report.
5. Receive a printed copy of the Annual Lecture delivered at the AGM (if published).
6. Attend and vote at the Annual General Meeting held in London. Each year a distinguished speaker is invited to give a lecture to members of the Society and their guests following the conclusion of the AGM.
7. Have password access to the 'Members Only' pages on the website, and to the email Discussion Group.
For details of the American Friends of the Hakluyt Society, please click here.